It Is About Time That Lee Got a Blog: Microsoft-Originated iPod Box Parody Video


It Is About Time That Lee Got a Blog

This blog contains snippets from all of the useless information stored in my head. While mostly made up of links to things that caught my interest, there may also be some original thoughts once in a while

Friday, March 17, 2006

Microsoft-Originated iPod Box Parody Video

Sorry it has been so long since I've posted, but I was busy moving to my new apartment. Now that I am all settled, I'm hoping to post more regularly.

By now, you have probably seen the amusing video that shows what would happen if Microsoft redesigned the iPod packaging. Last week, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Microsoft confirmed that it had created the video for use as an "internal-only video clip."

Microsoft's packaging team commissioned the video in order to "humorously highlight the challenges...[regarding] packaging and to educate marketers here about the pitfalls of packaging/branding."

This self-awareness of poor marketing is rare, and I am glad to see someone as bad at marketing as Microsoft poking fun at itself in order to improve. This self-examination is necessary across most Marketing teams, especially in the asset management world, where firms have yet to embrace modern marketing concepts, such as Word of Mouth marketing, Permission Marketing, etc. and waste money on traditional approaches that are destined to fail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home